Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm making a list, checking it twice!


Howdy. I feel sufficiently over the rage (that's right, actual rage) that overtook me when Mickey Rourke was denied an oscar to blog again.
While browsing one of my favourite sites, rottentomatoes.com, I came across a list they had made of the best films to win best picture at the oscars.

I've recently gotten really interested in films and the whole process of how they're conceived and made.Everything about them fascinates me. I don't care if it's black and white, has subtitles or involves Tim Curry in fishnets ( might I add...hubba hubba?Can't me only me?). It doesn't matter what the film, I'm all over it.

To foster this new enthusiasm (or obsession, take your pick) I've been watching a lot of old movies. The masterclass. It is a pleasure to see how films used to be made and just how fantastic some of them are. Films like "Taxi Driver" (admittedly not that old), "Some like it hot", "Rebel without a cause", "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "The Seven Year Itch", "An American in Paris" and others have completely blown me away. Despite being made a long time ago, most have a timeless humour and they are beautiful to look at.

It saddens me to see how diluted and basically un-funny films in general are nowadays. (See "You don't mess with the Zohan" for evidence). Obviously there are still absolutely brilliant films being made (The Wrestler, la Haine, Slumdog millionaire and the Usual Suspects to name a few) but the sheer quantity of films being made means that less time and care is being spent on them and the vast majority of them are pretty sub-par. Very rarely do I leave the cinema having really enjoyed a film. A lot of the time, you find yourself saying something to the effect of "well, it was alright. Nice way to waste away and hour".

To rectify this wrong, I decided to make a list. With the help of rottentomatoes, I found some films that are universally touted as "to see before you die". As I get through them I will let you know what I think and I would love any suggestions you have to bulk up my list with.
Here are the first few that I plan to watch soon.
P.S. Don't be mad at me for never having seen the Big Lebowski", I apologise!

The list:
  • The Godfather (Part I and II)
  • Rear window
  • Citizen Kane
  • Casablanca
  • All about Eve
  • On the waterfront
  • Annie Hall
  • It happened one night
  • In the heat of the night
  • Gone with the wind
  • Amadeus
  • The Big Lebowski
Let me know if you've seen any on the list or if you have any more you think I should get my film education with!

1 comment:

  1. I love movies but I cannot say that I'm an aficionado. I like what I like (sometimes even the ones others would consider time-wasters, although I think I have decent taste if not a refined taste). There are also some movies that others swear by that just haven't done it for me (my hubby dies a little inside each time I shrug and say Blade Runner was "eh!") Of those on your list, I have seen:

    # Citizen Kane
    # Casablanca
    # Amadeus
    # The Big Lebowski

    I truly enjoy Amadeus (have seen it several times). It is a fairly faithful adaptation of the play and Tom Hulce and F. Murray Abraham put in good performances.

    Casablanca, I've seen once. The details are fuzzy but I remember thinking that it really was worth the hype it gets.

    Citizen Kane - I know this is supposed to be a great and maybe I wasn't in the right mindset but I found that it just didn't hold my attention. My husband seemed to enjoy it. I would be willing to give it another try.

    The Big Lebowski - I've seen this only once, too. I don't recall disliking it but it didn't stick with me. I don't think I could tell you a thing about it (that I myself remember and have not gleaned from other people). I have friends who L-O-V-E, LOVE this movie. I think I'd have to watch it again to figure out why!

    I KNOW I need to see the Godfather movies but they've just never interested me that much. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing... maybe. And I've been wanting to see Gone with the Wind for some time now; just haven't made the time. LOVE American in Paris, by the way! Happy movie watching!!

    ReplyDelete